To help students to mature and develop in self confidence by providing them with learning opportunities outside the usual school curriculum. Particular emphasis is placed on social and communication skills and on the special heritage, culture and language that we have in Toraigh. Every effort is made to help the students to develop their self-directed-learning skills to prepare them for the the Leaving Certificate and for life afterwards.
Programme of Studies
- Maths, English, Irish and Spanish
- Religioou and Social Education
- Physical Education
- Other Subjects and Modules
- Career Guidance
- English (Classic novels on DVD, e.g. Pride and Prejudice, Middlemarch)
- Irish (grammar, creative writing)
- Spanish (grammar and vocabulary, oral and Spanish television. Also Spanish life and culture.)
- Business (Start your own business under the auspices of the County Enterprise Board enterprise competition, personal finance, the Irish economy today.)
- Home Economics
- Social Studies(Including History and Geography)
- Public SpeakingScrúdú Teoirice Tiomána
- Biology Experiments
- Music and Sean-nós singingTourism Awareness
- Digital Creator
- Internet Research
- Computer Aided Design: An Introduction
- Rights in Ireland: Citizens’ Information
- An Ghaeltacht
- Basic DIY Skills
- Global Inequality
- Reports home after Christmas and Easter
- Meeting between parents and teachers
- Adherence to school’s code of behaviour
- One week’s work placement before Christmas and another week in a different location after Christmas.
- Students are encouraged to find their own work placements.
- Hospitals, Garda stations, schools, factories, pharmacies, hairdressers, computer companies, vets, and accountants would all be suitable for work placements.
- Students complete a company report and employers submit a report to us regarding the student.
- Participation in Feis Thoraí
- Fundraising for charitable organistions
- Developing and maintaing our website
- Craft Classes
- Guest speakers on various subjects
- National Museum (Collins Barracks)
- Natural History Museum (The Dead Zoo)
- Dublin Zoo
- The Four Courts – Central Criminal Court
- Ulster-American Folk Park, Omagh